South Africa’s overweight and obesity rates are increasing not just in adults but also in children. One in four girls and one in five boys between the ages of 2–14 years are overweight or obese.
Poor eating habits and a sedentary lifestyle are two major culprits.
Although unhealthy snacks are easily accessible and offer a quick solution for a hungry tummy, it is most certainly not the best idea to give to your child on a daily basis.
Be prepared – make sure to buy healthy snacks next time you shop.
Pack nutritious lunch boxes and have snacks available when you go out with your kids.
Fresh fruits and vegetables are always a great idea but sometimes you need a little more creativity when it comes to snack ideas.
Need healthy and delicious snack ideas for your children and the whole family?
Not sure how to get them to eat more fruits and vegetables?
Snack ideas for children
- Air-popped popcorn
- Biltong (remove the fat)
- Carrot or cucumber sticks with hummus
- Cherry tomatoes
- Chicken kebab
- Corn or pumpkin fritters
- Crackers with tuna
- Crumpet with peanut butter and banana
- Fresh fruit (apple, pear, orange, grapes..)
- Frozen grapes
- Fruit salad
- Homemade popcorn is always a good snack idea
- Fruit skewer
- Glass of milk
- Hard-boiled egg
- Iced lollies made from homemade ice tea
- Peanuts and raisins
- Pineapple stick with peri-peri spices
- Plain scone with honey or cheese
- Provitas with a slice of cheddar cheese
- Rice cakes with peanut butter and banana or avocado and cheese
- Slice homemade banana bread
- Small muffin
- Smoothie made from fat-free yogurt and fresh fruits
- Trail mix with nuts, seeds, and dried fruit
- Wheat cracker with cucumber and cottage cheese
- Whole-wheat pretzels
- Yogurt or frozen yogurt
DOWNLOAD FREE EBOOK
HOW TO PACK SCHOOL LUNCH BOXES
Trail mix with peanuts, raisins, nuts and dried fruit as a quick snack idea
You can also freeze water bottles with ice and fill it up with water to ensure your child has a refreshing, ice cold drink at school, sport practice or wherever else (Read: Tips to drink more water)
It is our responsibility to lead by example and teach our children healthy eating habits from early age - (10 Ways to create healthy eating habits in children)
Thank you for reading this post, I hope you found the information useful! Please let me know what you think in the comments as I love hearing from you
You will also like 16 Non-food rewards for children.