It is National Nutrition Week and the theme is: “Rethink your drink – choose water.” In this blog, we will give you tips on how to drink more water.
By now I am sure you have heard or read that cool drinks (carbonated drinks, fruit juice, sports drinks and ice tea) are very high in sugar. Ranging from 6-15 teaspoons of sugar per 500 ml serving (see in the picture below)
The amount of sugar found in drinks
Research found that drinking as little as one glass of sugary drink daily increases an adult’s likelihood of being overweight by 27% and a child’s likelihood of being overweight by 55%.
Drinking two or more sugary drinks a day increases the risk of developing diabetes by at least 24%. People who consume one sugary drink per day are 29% more likely to die from a heart attack. How shocking is this!
Hopefully, this has convinced you to drink more water.
Now the big question…
How can you drink more water??
- Get active! It simple but it works. Just make sure you have a bottle of cold water at hand and don’t opt for energy drinks. I usually drink 750 ml to 1 liter of water when I exercise for an hour (Tips to get moving!)
- Make it tasty. Not everyone likes the taste of water especially if you use tap water. Adding lemon, lime, berries, mint leaves or cucumber can make the taste more acceptable.
- Have water available. Carry a bottle of water with you to work or school and pack bottles of water when you go somewhere. You are more likely to drink water if it is available to you.
- Set goals. If you aim to drink 1.5 liters of water a day you can aim to finish your first 500 ml bottle by lunch, the next bottle after work and the third bottle before bed.
- Replace your usual drink with water. Have a glass of water instead of fruit juice or coke with your breakfast, lunch or supper. Make sure the first drink you order when eating out is a glass of water and sip on it throughout the meal.
For more information and tips visit nutritionweek.co.za
Thank you for reading this blog, I hope you found the information useful. Please let me know how you increase your water intake in the comment section.
You will also like 11 Ways to live healthier.
If you need help to prepare healthy and delicious recipes, look no further..
I have 4 great recipe books to make sure your family enjoy the most delicious meals.